Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

preparation for drywall ceiling hanging

Old 04-18-03, 12:05 PM

I'm finishing my basement and at this moment, trying to level the ceiling joist height by adding strips of 1/8", 1/4" and even 1/2" to bottom surfaces of joists where they need to be lowered.

But I wonder why my ceiling joists were not originally spaced at 16 O.C. or 24 O.C. to make the hanging and finishing of the drywall much easier. In fact, they are close to randomly spaced. I measured and found out some are spaced at 12's, 17's, 19's, 20's, 26's, etc.

How do you arrange drywall sheets in the case like this to minimize adjacent butted ends? It seems to me that no matter how I arrange them (4'x8', 1/2 inch thick), I still have to cut at least one end of each sheet so that its cut edge is in the middle of a joist for support and nailing.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-03, 12:37 PM
Cool

If I had this situation, I wouldn't even bother to shim this off-center mess.
I would run new 16" OC joists to match up what I could and/or sister 2Xs on the existing joists as necessary to create 16" centers. Pull level strings across to bottom level the sisters or new joists.
Also, I would use 5/8" drywall on ceilings, and 1/2" on walls.
In lieu of all of the above (which is necessary only if you insist on a drywall ceiling), you could just hang a level drop ceiling. They have them with really nice looking panels now.
Just my non-pro opinion.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 04-18-03, 01:34 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply. Very good idea. Why didnt I think of that. I will do exactly as you suggested, running 16" OC where needed.

Old 04-19-03, 05:20 AM
Cool

Your ceiling will look far better being smooth, level and properly supported on 16" centers to begin with.
After you pull your level strings across, you can mark the strings with a felt marker at 16" centers to check and speed up alignment.
Use drywall screws instead of nails, especially in the ceiling, to prevent nail pops.
Here's an illustrated article on finishing drywall from Reader's Digest "The Family Handyman" magazine that also may help you:
http://www.familyhandyman.com/199912/pt/main.html
Good Luck!
Mike