finish nail pilot hole

Old 04-19-03, 11:22 AM
d47410
Visiting Guest
finish nail pilot hole

Is there a table showing drill sizes for nail pilot holes? I will be using 4d finish nails for baseboard over new flooring. Thanks Dan

Old 04-19-03, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Just hold bits up to the nail until you get a bit size slightly smaller than the nail.
Same as with a screw, except that you look at the shank and not the threads of the screw.
The purpose of a nail pilot hole, of course, is to pevent the nail from splitting the wood. In a pinch, you can accomplish the same thing by taking a hammer and blunting the point of the nail.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 04-19-03, 05:55 PM
d47410
Visiting Guest
Mike--Thanks for your reply. What you suggest is what I have always done, and of course it works, but is time consuming. Being a slow DIYer, was hoping a table had already been figured. Maybe I'll do it. Dan

Old 04-19-03, 05:59 PM
d47410
Visiting Guest
First entry in pilot hole for finish nails table:
4d nail------>5/64 bit Dan

Old 04-20-03, 12:13 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I got a neat sheet with all sorts of nail and screw info, including pilot hole sizes when I ordered some screws from McFeely's (www.mcfeelys.com).

Old 04-20-03, 03:38 AM
B
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Another trick I usually use is to nip off the head of the same size nail you'll be using and put it in the drill in place of a drill bit. Can also try a nail spinner.

Bruce

Old 04-20-03, 08:29 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The nail spinner works well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: