Swirl Ceilings

Old 04-22-03, 12:57 PM
Browncow73
Visiting Guest
Swirl Ceilings

We are currently installing a 2nd 6x8 bathroom.
I would like to do textured swirls on the ceilings.
I have been told that this can be accomplished using joint compound and a v notched trowel. Does the ready made compound need to have additional liquid added? How much is needed for this size ceiling. Any additional information on how to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-23-03, 05:41 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I would avoid a textured ceiling if this bathroom will have a shower, regardless of venting.

Old 04-23-03, 09:16 AM
dirkwright
Visiting Guest
As long as the ceiling is painted, I don't think it would be problem in a bathroom.

Use a wallpaper brush instead of the notched trowel for texturing. There are many ways to add texture to drywall. The ones based on joint compound are relatively soft, so they can be easily damaged.

Surface preparation is very important. I would use plaster bonder as a primer regardless of whether or not the ceiling is currently painted. Also check to see if the ceiling is securely attached. Add screws if not, since this material will add significant weight to the ceiling.

But, the cat's meow is veneer plaster, not joint compound......

Old 04-23-03, 10:36 AM
Browncow73
Visiting Guest
Why would you avoid a textured ceiling?
the ceiling is securly fasted to the trusses with screws.
would you suggest just a painted ceiling?

Old 04-23-03, 11:34 AM
dirkwright
Visiting Guest
I think that Jeff meant that an unpainted textured ceiling using joint compound would lead to problems, because joint compound is not water resistant. The humidty in a bathroom would damage an unsealed ceiling textured with joint compound. You can avoid this by merely priming and painting the textured surface. Hope this helps.

Old 04-23-03, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello browncow, and welcome to the forums.

Looks like they've got ya headed in the right direction. I'm sure Jeff was referring to the humidity issues in the bathroom. These can be addressed with proper vent fan & primer & painting the finished texture as dirk suggested. He's also right about the veneer plaster, it is more durable than texture done with joint compound.

If you are going to do this with regular rock mud, I'd go with the lite mud, you'll need to add some water (not alot, add in small amounts, mix well, but try not to add too much air) Use an electric drill, and a mixer paddle, to mix the mud, you'll be looking for a creamy consistency, but not too thin, otherwise gravity will be workin against you. Good luck.

Old 04-23-03, 10:20 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The texture just gives mold a lot more growing space. Just my concern.

Old 04-24-03, 06:46 AM
dirkwright
Visiting Guest
OK, for a real "treat", see:
http://www.ceilingdesigns.com
I bought the video for 20$, and I just about fell out of my chair I laughed so hard. It's very complete I guess, but it's more the "home video" type of style that makes me laugh. I also get a kick out of they way their ceilings are completely over kill. You'll see what I mean if you get the video....<g>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: