Header

Old 04-22-03, 10:24 PM
MarkyMark101
Visiting Guest
Header

Ok, I need some advise. I'm Installing a 6' sliding door into my cinder block rancher. I need some help on my header design. After framing the rough opening I'll have about 7" left for the header. I was planning on screwing or bolting 6-2x8's together and using that. Is that a good Idea, bad Idea or just plane old stupid? Any suggestions?
Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-03, 04:42 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You need more info than that. What is supported above? How are the cinder blocks above the opening going to be supported while this opening is framed out? You need to hire a structural engineer to design this opening.

Old 04-23-03, 02:50 PM
MarkyMark101
Visiting Guest
There isn't any cinder block above the opening, it's a single story house and I knocked out the cinder block all the way up to the joists. From the sill to to joists is only 88 3/4". After the rough opening is framed I'll have about 7 1/2" from top of rough opening to the joist. I already built a temp. wall supporting the area around opening. Does that give you a better idea?

Mark

Old 04-23-03, 08:26 PM
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums. From your second post, it appears you've already taken the tiger by the tail. Considering the fact you've already got this tore out, I'd say you idea with the 2"x8"'s is a sound idea, you may find that you need to ad some spacers in between the 2"s to make the header come out flush on both sides of your new wall. But I'd say get it framed back in ASAP, and make sure it's securely anchored to the adjoining walls.

Really would have been a good idea to have a engineer type look at & design this, prior to where you're at now, but it's a too late to start half steppin now!

Old 04-23-03, 09:19 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I agree with AwesomeDell. You are done with all of the hard work.

Old 05-02-03, 05:32 PM
MarkyMark101
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks

Thanks Guys my header worked out perfectly and my new door is installed.

Old 05-03-03, 10:30 AM
Thumbs up

Great & just in time for bbq season.