Glass Block wall/bar

Old 04-28-03, 07:53 AM
talon2112
Visiting Guest
Glass Block wall/bar

I'm planning on building a couple of half-height glass block walls and a glass block bar. I'm going to be doing laminate or hardwood flooring in these areas.

I'm planning on putting down a wood plate to build these on top of. I'm assuming it's better to put these down before the flooring is in as opposed to putting it on the flooring.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks!
-scott

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-03, 05:05 PM
I'd use a doubled layer of 5/8" plywood (exterior grade, not treated) to set the block walls on. Do them first & then lay your flooriing.

But before we get to that point, what's underneath? What size joists do you have & what's the spacing? What's down now as a subfloor? Glass block isn't light & there has to be a proper structure under it. Post back w/ a bit more info.

Old 04-29-03, 05:41 AM
talon2112
Visiting Guest
It's a basement finish. So there's concrete underneath. I'll probably lay down one WT plate and then plywood on that.

I'm probably contracting out my flooring and want to figure out if I can get them in there earlier to save some time. That way I can wait on the glass block until after the floors in. I'd just have to make sure the plates are down first.

Old 04-30-03, 03:19 AM
no plates would be needed in your situation, other than for height issues with your flooring. I still don't recommend laminate flooring, go with a real hardwood floor, you'll be glad you did in the long run.
Just my $.02 worth.

Old 04-30-03, 05:38 AM
talon2112
Visiting Guest
thanks for the input.

I assume you'd recommend laying the glass block down prior to the flooring? I'd guess it would achieve a lot better foundation on the concrete than on a hardwood floor.

What are your suggestions when laying a hard wood floor on concrete, in regards to a sub-floor/underlayment?

Old 05-01-03, 10:14 AM
Actually in a basement situation, installing a hardwood floor would not be recommended. Sorry I was a bit tired the other night when I posted that, I had it in my head we we talking about a slab on grade. I follow guidelines set by the NOFMA with any floor installs I do. You can check out their homepage here.
http://www.nofma.org/installation.htm

For a basement floor, I'd recommend tile, ceramic, porcelin, anything but vct. I just can't bring myself to recommend a laminate floor, IMO the stuff just isn't going to hold up very well over time and I like to build with products that will still be there a hundred yrs from now. Which is why we do floors in tile or hardwood.