Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hail Damage on Vinyl Siding? Worthless!

Visiting Guest

04-28-03, 09:34 PM   #1  
JamesnRhonda
Hail Damage on Vinyl Siding? Worthless!

About 80% of the homes in my 20 year old subdivision have been updated with vinyl siding making them look allmost new. I have considered it often but recently the second hail storm of the year has passed through and once again all these homeowners are left with holes all over a side of thier homes while I can sit back in relief that I wont be paying my deductable because I still have my plain OSB/brick face sided home. I love the look but I just dont get it. This hail was smaller than golf balls and seamed fairly mild. I cant imagine spending thousands of dollars for plastic that can't take a little storm. Is it really worth it? and what should someone look for to make sure they get hail resistant siding?

Sponsored Links

OH

04-29-03, 05:05 AM   #2  
Hail resistant siding

Perhaps, a hail-resistant fiber cement siding that looks
like wood would be the way to go in hail prone areas. Vinyl tends to become less flexible during colder temperatures. Hail driven at high wind speeds can obliterate vinyl siding and chip brick. "Hail resistant" does not mean hail proof. Hail, driven with hurricane force winds will take it's toll on your home, damaging siding, roof, and windows. Make sure you have good insurance coverage.

MO

04-30-03, 03:35 AM   #3  
Folks I live in Missouri, we get hail, tornados, cold, humidity, heat, you name it. Vinyl siding is like most other products, it is made in various degres of quality, & you gets what you pay for, Certainteed, for example has 3 different product lines of vinyl siding & accessories. Ashland-Davis, Wolverine, & Certainteed, guess what, the brand with the company's name on it is the best quality product and the most expensive to buy.
I choose to only install the very best quality products, regardless of the cost of material, this is a decision that has cost me individual jobs over the years, but in the long run I'm happy I made my decision & have stuck with it.

In short, the bitterness of poor quality will far outlast the sweetness of a cheap price.

Search this Thread