Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Drywall Ceiling in Garage falling down

Old 05-01-03, 05:51 PM
LamanchaDQ
Visiting Guest

I have a 16 yr old house (tract) that has drywall walls and ceilings in the garage. Walls and ceilings are taped but not finished. The dryer vent opens into the garage. We always have the garage door open when running the dryer.

Today one drywall panel came down. Some of the nails came down with it and some stayed in the joists with part of the drwall clinging around the nail. My inspection of the other panels from above and below shows no evidence of any other impending drop.

Should I screw all panels (not trusting the nails any longer) or is retaping and painting enough, once I get the one panel replaced?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-03, 06:05 PM
Paradox - put drywall in a garage because it it inside, then vent a dryer into the garage because it is outside.

I would get out the screws, redo the drywall, and paint it.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-03, 07:48 PM
LamanchaDQ
Visiting Guest
Thanks, chfite.

Yea the "venting" isn't the only dumb thing this builder did in this neighborhood.

Any idea what the spacing should be on the screws?

Old 05-01-03, 07:59 PM
16"

Old 05-02-03, 05:38 AM
Definitely need the screws on ceilings. Proper fastening is 5 per joist, one in each recess, 3 evenly spaced in the field. That's the way it's done. If they vented the dryer into the garage, I hate to even think of some of their other bright ideas.

Old 05-02-03, 07:03 AM
LamanchaDQ
Visiting Guest
awesomedell, thanks. FYI this is the builder. When they built mine they were pretty much here locally but now they are publicly traded and are in the NE, South, SW and West. They aren't in your state yet.

Toll Brothers

Old 05-03-03, 03:32 PM
Well they certainly have an impressive web presence, but really venting a dryer vent into a garage, not what I'd call a professional building practice. That's why I went into bus. for myself, never could get the hang of doing things the wrong way, just because the foreman said that's how we do it. The builders I work for are all small guys with an emphasis on quality rather than quanity. I'll probably never get rich doing things my way, but I do sleep good at night.

Good luck on the garage repairs.

Old 05-04-03, 08:15 AM
LamanchaDQ
Visiting Guest
awesomdell, I really appreciate your approach to your work. I've always termed my approach to business as a customer focus. You can't have that or a quality (almost the same thing in my mind) focus if your one and ONLY priority is cost reduction.

Some of the other things the builder did in this neighborhhod, FYI.

Simply cover over a stream running through the neighborhood and adding little to no drainage to handle the added water when it rains. Backyards around here are mushy when it rains.

Fail to grade properly around homes so that several homes had a basement wall collapse after a few years.

In all honesty, my neighborhhood went up 17 years ago, in the year this company went public. They could have changed their ways over that time and my neighborhood could have been an abberation.

In any case, I thank you profusely for your help here. I've already replaced the fallen panel and re-secured all other panels with drywall screws. I've mud and taped it all and am getting ready to paint.. Thanks again.

Old 05-04-03, 05:31 PM
Glad to hear you got your garage fixed up. Hopefully that company has changed their ways by now, but there are an awful lot of companies out there doing so-so work & charging a fortune to the end consumer. Gives the whole industry a bad name.