Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

siding on cement block house

Visiting Guest

05-04-03, 07:37 PM   #1  
Mark B
siding on cement block house

I'm considering putting up Hardy lap siding on my cement block house. Currently, there is no other siding on it and the windows are set back in the masonry wall 3 inches, with sloped brick sills extending out beyond the front face of the house, similar to most brick construction I've seen.

My question is more architectural than technique. I'm wondering if putting lap board siding (12 inch wide horizontal boards) would look strange with the recessed windows and brick sills. I know that I'd have to extend the exterior jams out to the face of the house to butt the siding boards against, but is this generally done on masonry homes? I've driven around my town to see if anyone else has upgraded their cement block house this way, and so far I've only seen one such house that had vinyl siding installed, where the brick sills were also covered in viny. Would it be necessary to remove the brick sills and have the entire window frame flush with the front of the house? Thanks.

Mark

Sponsored Links

MO

05-05-03, 08:08 PM   #2  
Using the hardi, I think I'd leave the brick sills exposed as long as it didn't clash with the new siding.

Can't say I've ever seen a block wall home with brick sills, must be a western thing. I lived in Colo Springs, in a different life it feels like, everything I saw was either natural stone, brick, & either steel or masonite siding, yeah it was that long ago, or a combination of two.

Search this Thread