Stepped through the celing!

Old 05-17-03, 05:22 AM
C Ken
Visiting Guest
Stepped through the celing!

My ceiling is called "orange peel" it has peeks that looks like the paint/mud has dripped. I stepped through it and made a hole as big as my head. I've been told it's going to cost $250.00 plus to fix and I'm thinking I can do it myself for material cost. Any ideas on how to get the paint to match or do they paint the ceiling after mudding it? It's in the middle of the living room where a lot of sunlight comes in. The house was built in 1997. Please help!!!

Old 05-17-03, 08:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Ken & welcome to the forums. Walked thru the ceiling, Check out this page for links on how to deal with patching the hole & patching up the texture. http://doityourself.com/wall/index.htm

Post back if you still have questions. Good luck.

Old 05-19-03, 09:44 AM
C Ken
Visiting Guest
Stepping through ceiling!

Thanks for the web sight. It helped for putting up the dry wall, but now I need to know how to match up the paint. The mud dried a light shade of grey and the ceiling is white. The ceiling appears to be a flat white, but I want to make sure they match up when I go to paint the new area. Any ideas!!

Old 05-19-03, 12:27 PM
C
Realistically, you will need to paint the entire ceiling. It is unlikely that the paint has not gotten dirty or faded since installed. Trying to paint a section with new paint in the midst of older paint will leave a section that likely will not match. Ceilings are usually painted with flat white latex paint. Put some primer over the repair, then paint.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-03, 11:07 PM
Chris is right about repainting the whole ceiling, your patchwork will need a coat of primer also before appling finish paint. Carry on, you're doin fine.

Old 05-20-03, 05:12 AM
C Ken
Visiting Guest
Stepped through ceiling!

Thanks for your help on the paint stituation. I was hoping I wouldn't have to paint the entire ceiling, since the kitchen, den, entry way and hall way all connect. Bummer!!! I guess I'll hire someone for that job. Thanks for all your help. Ken

Old 05-20-03, 10:35 PM
no problem, let us know if we can be of further help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: