Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drywall ceiling problem

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 08:38 PM   #1  
eddie
drywall ceiling problem

I'm putting drywall in the basement but am finding out that my ceiling joists are out of wack. I'm getting waves as the sheets go up. What can I do to fix this? Do I have to redo or can I fix the problem with a texture finish?

Sponsored Links

MO

05-17-03, 10:10 PM   #2  
Hello Eddie & welcome to the forums, if you can see the waves as the sheets are going up, it's gonna take an extra skim coat or two to get it to look decent, but yeah it can be done. A textured finish will help hide the flaws. If it's way out, like 1/4" or more, we would add shims or do a little sanding or planing of joists to flatten it out prior to hanging it.

Good luck with the basement.

Visiting Guest

05-18-03, 11:00 AM   #3  
eddie
drywall ceiling problem

Could I double the sheets of drywall on the ceiling? Would this maybe eliminate the waves? Is it going to be too heavy? I think it would be a decent sound barrier as well?

MO

05-19-03, 10:16 PM   #4  
Maybe,......Depends, what size rock you using? (1/2" or 5/8") & what are we screwing it to, (joist size & spacing)?

Visiting Guest

06-08-03, 07:17 PM   #5  
eddie
double up drywall

I'm using 1/2" with 4" screws on the double up drywall, seems to be okay so far. I've also cut out the wavy portions of the first layer. The joist spacing is 16".

Visiting Guest

06-22-03, 08:02 AM   #6  
funuseris
A long time ago I went to work for a drywall contractor. He didn't say much when he put me in my first job, just "Do the best you can possibly do and make it look beautiful". He then handed me a nice shiny hand planer. I still have it and use it often.

Try that or get some cardboard drywall shims and a whole lot of string......

Easiest way, texture the lid.

Thanks,

Chris

www.plashekgypsum.com

Search this Thread