Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1/2" drywall on basement ceilings?

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 10:40 PM   #1  
shnookie
1/2" drywall on basement ceilings?

I'm in the midst of finishing my basement. The ceiling is engineered joists 16" on center. There will be no insulation between floors so no weight other than the drywall.. I've just carried down 100 sheets of 1/2" standard drywall. Can I use this for the ceiling or will I need to go back and get some 5/8? I'm planning on screwing the whole ceiling (no nails). Will I have sag problems later on?

Sponsored Links

MN

05-18-03, 02:30 AM   #2  
1/2" is OK over 16" centers. Run sheets perpendicular to joists.

Bruce

MO

05-19-03, 09:48 PM   #3  
Hello shnookie and welcome aboard.

1/2" will be fine, run it across the joists not with them like bruce said & you'll do fine, measure tight & subtract 3/8", tape is 2" wide. Need more help post back.

If you're using a cordless drill, use a dimpler, & have a b/u battery & charger handy.

Visiting Guest

05-20-03, 07:07 AM   #4  
shnookie
Thanks for the information. I actually went out and bought a screwgun with an autoloader to do the job. I also picked up a drywall lift since I will be doing the garage later this year. Seems like the job isn't too bad with the right tools.

Thanks all,
Jeff

MO

05-20-03, 05:02 PM   #5  
Good idea my friend, the right tools make any job easier. That auto loader can be easily recycled into cash on e-bay when you get all finished, probably the drywall lift as well. I might even be interested in them if the price is right, but I warn you I'm notoriously tight. Ask my crew

Search this Thread