steel stud interior wall/corner

Old 05-19-03, 09:48 AM
KK45
Visiting Guest
steel stud interior wall/corner

I'm redoing a loft interior in NYC this spring, and we had some trouble with building steel 3-stud corners, altho we followed the builder's manual on this topic. Problem is, I think, the ceilings are 11'11" so the studs are 12 footers trimmed one inch, and because of that they're too likely to warp. We tried using cross pieces to reinforce and setting studs 16" but are still having trouble with firm walls and corners. This will be crucial once we build the bathroom which is meant to have tile walls. ANY advice on this would be extremely helpful. The original loft walls/ceiling are plaster over wire mesh, with wood joists and steel beams. (The floors are what we think is cedar planking, but probably about fifty some years old and painted over). The doors are coming out fine, but they are mounted against an original (plaster) wall on one side.

SO how do I frame sturdier corners, and reduce flexibility in steel stud walls?????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-03, 11:30 AM
Applying the sheetrock will stiffen the walls, although I am sure you would like more assurance than this.

Awesomedell will be along this evening. I am sure he can enlighten you more.

Old 05-19-03, 10:04 PM
Hello KK45, welcome to the board.

What guage studs are you using & how are you putting this together? (welding or screws?)

If you're gonna do tile walls, I'd recommend backerboard, (cbu) instead of drywall, that's how I'd do it, unless you've got a good mudman on the crew. If so let him do a mud & lath wall & set your tile knowing it'll be there in 100 yrs.

Need more info let me know, I may even have a contact for a mudman in your area. (Not sure if he'll go into the city, lives on LI)

Old 05-20-03, 08:22 AM
KK45
Visiting Guest
HI thanks for the replies. We're using 18 gauge steel studs, and for the tile we're using either wonderboard or Durock, 1/2". We're doing the project ourselves, we both have some previous experience with the materials, but not on a 12 foot vertical. My question is how to get tight corners and a good solid wall. 16 inches from center doesn't seem to work, and as I said, the studs tend to bow for some reason. Should we just go with heavier gauge steel or is there a recommended way to build a corner with steel studs that you can give me or recommend?

Old 05-20-03, 04:58 PM
Sistering up the studs will add strength & to ensure a true & plumb wall, start screwing off the cbu at the floor sill & work your way up. When I fram walls that I plan to finish with tile I go to 12" centers.

Hope that helps. Might also do a web search for steel framing, there's a wealth of interesting sites out there to look at.

Old 05-21-03, 05:13 AM
KK45:
Are you using 3-5/8" studs? I'm looking at a National Gypsum Company catalog and for 3-5/8", 20 gage studs, 16" o.c., the limitting height (L/360 deflection; that's good) is 14'-5". You should be good to go at 11'-11" height; you will be amazed how the wall will stiffen up when you hang the drywall.

Bruce