Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best way to gain extra light in a kitchen?

Visiting Guest

05-20-03, 04:42 AM   #1  
Pdog
Best way to gain extra light in a kitchen?

I currently own a ranch with a rather small kitchen (roughly 12'x15'). I would like to remove the existing ceiling fan/light combo and add recessed lighting and at least 1 skylight. The reason for the skylight over say the tubes is that it will give the kitchen a little larger feel to it. What I would really like to do is have say 3 skylights right next to each other, but that would mean removing ceiling joists to have a coffered ceiling that would really open it up but I have seen posts stating that removing ceiling joists is a no-no. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to accomplish this? Thank you

Sponsored Links

MO

05-20-03, 10:58 AM   #2  
I wouldn't recommend removing any ceiling joist with out having a fully qualified contractor or better yet an engineer look at it. Don't recommend you do this with an expert taking a first hand look at it first.

If you still want to pursue this, let me know & I'll post up some info for you.

Visiting Guest

05-26-03, 06:37 AM   #3  
Pdog
OK, I have re-evaluated what I am looking to do. I would like to go with 2 skylights right next to each other, they are 28"x46". If I were to center them in the room, I would need to remove approximately 46" plus header thickness from the middle 3 ceiling joists. The ends of the joists would remain and tie into the headers that will be installed between the next full ceiling joists remaining. Is this too many ceiling joists to cut in a row? I am not planning on removing the joists totally, just cutting approx. 4' out of 3 of them in a row.

MO

05-27-03, 05:29 AM   #4  
Cutting 4' out of three consecutive joist would probably not be a good idea. Have you looked at the info on this page yet? http://doityourself.com/skylights/index.htm

There's a link there that addresses framing questions.

Visiting Guest

05-27-03, 03:16 PM   #5  
Pdog
Yeah, I saw that webpage over the weekend. Very nicely detailed page. OK, so if 3 in a row is too much, what if I went with a 44" wide skylight that only required 2 joists to be cut? I know it would be better than 3, but is 2 right next to each other too much?

MO

05-29-03, 04:14 AM   #6  
Two in a row would be better than 3, I'd think. Have you posed this question up in architecture & code? Doug that is the mod up there designs homes & might come up with a good idea or two.

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 04:28 AM   #7  
Pdog
I will try there. Thanks

Search this Thread