concrete pillar

Old 05-25-03, 06:57 PM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Question concrete pillar

I have a deck (6 X10) that is under the existing roof line. It is adjacent to the kitchen.

I'm planning on enclosing this deck and increasing the size of my kitchen.

Upon investigation I have found that the corner of the deck that is supporting the roof via a 4X4 is not supported underneath. The builder seemed to have missed with the concrete pillar underneath the deck.

The previous owner didn't think that the rain water that leaked between the fascia and the eaves was of great concern. But this water run off (which took me 1 hour to fix) has caused the soil under the deck to wash away.

Therefore I need to put in a new cement post to support the deck/corner of the house before I even think about putting up walls.

My questions are;

Will five feet be deep enough to pass the frost, we are in Alberta.

How wide should the pillar be?

What is the easiest way to attach the pillar to the joists of the deck since this is an existing structure?

Any other thoughts?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Rob in Rocky

Old 05-26-03, 05:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Rob,

Man you're so far north, I haven't a clue how deep your footing should be to go below frost line. Round here 36" is norm for this scenario, but up in the great white north, 5 ft might be more reasonable.

I think I'd go with a steel post instead of concrete, easier to do. & attach it to the structure with lag bolts.

I'd really suggest you have a engineering type take a look first hand to ensure there are no pitfalls to your plan. Or at least post this question up in "Architecture & Codes" & let Doug & our other engineering types have a go at it.

Good luck & stay warm.

Old 05-26-03, 09:23 PM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up steel pillar?

Thanks for the reply awesome.

I had not considered the steel pillar. I will look into that.

I have posted this question, as you suggested, on the architecture and codes forum. I will see what pops up.

Thanks again.

Rob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: