Ceiling Drywall

Old 05-27-03, 08:57 AM
songburdy
Visiting Guest
Red face Ceiling Drywall

I have a garage that is 12x20. I am trying to turn it into an extra room for my birds. We stapled plastic to the ceiling this winter and put insualtion on top of the plastic. This kept the garage nice and cozy this winter. The plastic held up the insulation.

I am now trying to drywall the ceiling. This makes my second attempt. I did it wrong the first time and had to tear it all out. I am now trying it again. I have a problem however. My ceiling joist are 24 on center. I have hung 1/2 inch drywall. I have hung it perpendicular to the joist. I have a friend that is telling me that my ceiling will sag in a year because I hung 1/2 instead of 5/8th. Is this true? The actual insulation is being held up by the plastic underneath. The garage has no moisture problems.

Will my ceiling sag in a year? Is there anything at this point that I can do to reinforce the ceiling? Does 1/8 inch really make that much difference? I hope it won't sag... I hate to have to tear this drywall out again, rent another drywall jack and put it up again. The 1/2 inch drywall was so heavy I barely got it on the jack.. I don't know if I could lift 5/8th on the jack. I am a 5' 4" female and the drywall weighs as much as I do almost. I got no one to help me with this... I have to do it myself.

I have attached some pictures.

Please Help! I need some advise....

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 05-27-03, 09:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sorry, but 1/2" sheetrock on 24" centers is going to sag.
Should use 5/8" on ceilings.
Give it some time and see what happens. You may be able to live with it in a garage. It may not be too bad.
Mike

Old 05-30-03, 10:11 AM
who2ted
Visiting Guest
Shawn- I have also built a 12 X22 room and used 1/2" with no problems in 4 years. Most people use 1/2" here in the SW US so maybe it has something to do with moisture. Good LucK!

Old 05-30-03, 01:39 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
ceiling drywall

songbird in all likelyhood your ceiling will sag between the joists to a large or small extent over time. I dont think a year though too many variables -weight heat humidity but it most assuredly will sag. You can climb above the ceiling and add spacers between the ceiling joists every 4 feet or so and fsten the drywall to them. Note that if you do that later after it is sagging, the screws will popp through and make no improvement.

Old 05-31-03, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Songbird,

Mudder has a good idea to add in some blocking to prevent the eventual sagging of 1/2" hung on 24" centers. I'd only use anti-sag or Class x firerock if I was hanging 1/2" @24"o/c.

If there's an access point into the attic, that would be the ticket. Cut some 2"x4" into lengths that fit snugly between the joists, get some 2-1/2" wood screws and attach the boards into the existing studs along the seams of the drywall & at the midpoint of the sheets.

Then go back below & run extra screws thru the drywall & into the new blocking. spot over the screw heads & touch--up the paint, I don't think the birds will mind.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: