Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What kind of plaster for wall repair

Visiting Guest

05-27-03, 10:23 PM   #1  
eriktimmer
What kind of plaster for wall repair

I just bought a house originally built in 1924. There was some wood siding over a plaster wall along a stairwell. The siding was ugly, so I decided to pull it down. When I did this, much of the plaster wall came with it because the siding was attached with nails and glue (some of the plaster is still there with "cement" looking texture behind it).

I decided that I'd just clean off the loose plaster, then replaster the wall. So, I scraped off the loose plaster, then discovered (reading this board) that old plaster often contains asbestos. If anyone has any information about this, I'd appreciate it...otherwise, I've been breathing the stuff for about 4 hours tonight and am not sure what to make of it. Its amazing how many things appear to contain this stuff.

That said, I need to repair my wall. What kind of plaster do I use for this? I was at a home depot this evening and purchased "plaster of paris." Is this the right stuff to fix a wall?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

MO

05-29-03, 04:22 AM   #2  
Hi Erik,

Take the plaster of paris back to the orange box, & get drywall mud. I'd suggest you get the Lite mud as it takes less thinning, & is easier to work with for a newbie.

Might also want to take a look at some of the links on this page http://doityourself.com/wall/index.htm
If you still have questions after looking that info over post back & we'll get ya on the right track.

Search this Thread