Installing a tin ceiling

Old 05-29-03, 07:34 PM
Installing a tin ceiling

I am remodeling one of my bedrooms and turning it into a library. I'm thinking about pulling the ceiling fixture out and then putting in a tin ceiling to give the room some character. Has anyone out there ever installed a tin ceiling? I've found two web sites that explain how to do it, and they gave differing advice. One said to nail the panels to the ceiling and another recommended furring strips first and then attaching the panels to them.

I'm a seasoned do-it-yourselfer and not afraid of most jobs, I'm just curious if anyone has some advice to share.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-03, 07:43 PM
I've seen it done in a new home, they put up a layer of 3/8" sheeting on the studs & then attached the panels to it.

I would think that the furring strips were used to give a better surface to attach the tin panels to.

Old 05-29-03, 08:16 PM
Thanks!
This is an older home (70+ years) with plaster ceilings. I'm against just nailing it to the existing ceiling, but do you think the plywood is necessary or do you think the furring strips would give it an adequate anchor?

Old 05-29-03, 08:35 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Screw up some nailing strips on a plaster ceiling. The tin ceiling nails will just break off surface pieces of the plaster.

Old 05-31-03, 07:39 PM
There ya go, I bet Jeff has more experience with tin ceilings than I do.

I've only seen 1 or 2 installed around this area. But they do class up a joint.