Drywall Ceiling Problem

Old 06-04-03, 02:17 PM
SpacemanSpiff
Visiting Guest
Drywall Ceiling Problem

Hi there. This is my first time to post here.

My wife and I recently purchased our first house about 6 months ago. It is a brand-new starter-type house and it has drywall ceilings throughout.

My problem is, all around the house, along the edges of the ceiling where it meets the wall, there are bubbles forming over the paint over the points where the screws are located that fasten the ceiling to the studs behind the drywall. The paint slowly starts puffing outward over the screw, and eventually begins to crack as it swells further. Eventually the paint starts to flake off exposing the screw beneath.

We first noticed this with two screws directly above our master bathtub, but have since noticed the problem spreading to our Master bedroom, hallway, laundry room, and our second bathroom. This past weekend I went through and counted them all and found this occuring in 9 places so far, and only at points along the top of a wall. This is not occuring anywhere on the ceiling away from a wall, at least not so far.

I am stumped as to what could be causing this, and my builder can be a hassle to deal with, so I am trying to get some idea of what might be causing it before trying to make a claim under my home warranty.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be a symptom of? The only place it is occuring is directly over the spots where the screws are located, and only along the edge of the ceiling where it meets the walls. The paint is perfect everywhere else on the ceiling.

A huge thanks to anyone who is able to help!

Old 06-04-03, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions before I answer. Is your house old or new? If old, how old? Second, is it a nail or a screw that is showing? I think what you are seeing are popped nails. Usually when you drive a nail in you have to dimple it so it sets less than flush. If the "bubble" you are seeing is about the size of a hammer head then thats what it is. You only see them in the corners because some hanging crews nail the perimiter and screw the field.

Old 06-04-03, 03:17 PM
SpacemanSpiff
Visiting Guest
I actually answered both of those questions in my original post, but I'll answer again.

Its a brand new house, and it's screws that are showing through.

Old 06-04-03, 03:44 PM
No need to get testy. It seems I'm the only one helping here. How big are the "bubbles"?

Old 06-04-03, 07:18 PM
SpacemanSpiff
Visiting Guest
I checked again when I got home just now, and they are nails and not screws like I thought, so it does sound like it might be the "popped nails" you mentioned before.

I certainly wasn't trying to get "testy", just noting that I had, in fact, tried to answer those questions up-front.

The "bubbles" (for lack of a better term) are just slightly larger than the nail heads underneath. They are centered exactly over the nail heads.

If these are "popped nails", how serious is the problem, and how to I fix it (or how should my builder fix it)? Is it just a cosmetic problem? or could my ceiling fall down some day down the road?

Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated!

Old 06-04-03, 08:52 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Popped nails happen after a new home has undergone a season or two and the framing has dried. It is too bad that nails were used in this day and age, considering how common this problem is. The solution is to remove the nail and place two drywall screws into the framing 2" on either side of the nail hole. Do not reuse the nail hole, it has been stripped out will not hold a nail or screw. Do not hammer the nail back in, it is now loose and will never hold. Cover the two screw heads and nail hole with spackle and paint. Next winter a new batch of nails will pop out, however this number can only decrease as each year passes.

Old 06-05-03, 01:32 PM
Also cut out the bubble. The bubble is there because the drywall hanger broke the paper when he nailed. Cut the loose stuff away and fill.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: