Texture

Old 06-12-03, 10:42 AM
ACBC1351
Visiting Guest
Talking Texture

OK I just bought a new home that was built in the late 70's that has a heavy wall texture that appears to have been applied with a heavy nap brush in a swrill pattern. I would like to convert that to a orange peel finish. I have concluded the following and would like some advise if this is correct or another technique would be advised:

1. KNock down old texture as best I can with drywall knife
2. Skim coat wall with wall compound in both vert and horiz directions
3. Prime for texture
4. Texture allow to dry
5. Knock down to orange peel finish
6. Prime paint be happy!

Please let me know!!!!

Old 06-12-03, 06:22 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Texture

and when your thru I've got a ceiling for you to do too!!!
sounds right to me

Old 06-18-03, 12:02 PM
ACBC1351
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Texture Update

Mudder-

I tried a 10x10 section...I have 2 words......well better not say that here

It can be done but I began to ask myself why? So now I'm going to just paint the walls

Thanks for you help

Old 06-18-03, 05:45 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
Mudder-

so i guess your not interested in doing my ceiling??
LOL

Old 06-22-03, 07:53 AM
funuseris
Visiting Guest
I try to talk my customers out of textured walls for this reason. Textures are like carpet, one year they are the greatest thing the next they can be old and out dated. This can put a huge damper on your resale value, or atleast make it hard to sell. Ceiling textures are moderatly easy to change but wall textures are a pain in the butt.

This brings me to the orange peel........... DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

This texture is on its way to becoming the next popcorn texture, do you realy want it? Remember , resaleability.

I have a method but it is very time consuming and not for the faint of heart. It will take days if not weeks and if you aren't ready for the long haul don't even atempt it.

Scrape it, all of it get as mutch of the old texture off as possible. Then skim coat, thin coats until you get a uniform flat wall. Sand it and sand it smooth. Prime and paint. It sounds easy but it is extreamly time consuming and teadious. Please don't retexture. Believe me you will regret. When you have to redue it again in a few years you will definately regret it then. There are plenty of other options to textured walls. Designer panels, wainscot, many, many more. These custom wall enhancments are more durable and tend not to go through the nice to today, nasty tomrow fazes.

Thanks,
Chris
www.plashekgypsum.com

Old 06-22-03, 11:12 AM
pogo
Visiting Guest
I just sanded down the bad texture job on my walls in the basement, and touched up what remained with thinned out drywall mud.

Looks great, and I left it as a smooth wall finish.

I used a vibrating sander with coarse mesh paper.

Old 06-22-03, 02:57 PM
funuseris
Visiting Guest
Thats great. I do believe that the texture we are talking about here is a plaster swirl. It does mention a swirl. If it is drywall compound it will not be that hard to remove, again just time consuming and teedious. If the swirl does happen to be plaster it won't come off that easy. It will destroy an orbital sander. A belt sander would do it, and a whole lot of damage also. We are talking seventies swirl texture here, almost a guranteed plaster swirl. It will not sand. Believe me if there was an easy way to remove plaster textures I would use it. Honestly the easiest way to remove a plaster texture, get a dumpster and start ripping out your walls it is a whole lot easier to do than sanding or scraping.

Thanks,

Chris
www.plashekgypsum.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: