Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Textured vinyl wallboard

Visiting Guest

06-30-03, 12:32 AM   #1  
danka
Texture over vinyl coated wallboard in mobile home

I live in a double wide trailer that has vinyl coated wallboards and would like to have them textured and then painted. Can someone tell me step-by-step what I need to do. I thought that I had it all figured out until my father-in-law said that even if I lighty sand the walls and use a primer that I may run into some problems later due to the vinyl coating on them.

Any help on this subject would truely be appreciated. I am ready to get started asap!

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links

KS

06-30-03, 07:00 AM   #2  
The biggest problem with your project is the fact that you are decorating over an unstable substance. What I mean is, the wallpaper may or may not stick forever. In my experience, wallpaper will always come up at the seams. but you may have wallpaper that will stay down. Only one way to find out. So if you don't want to strip it off, which I recommend, then put a coat of primer over it to see if any thing pops off. If you have a lot of blistering then you may want to re think. Or there might just be a little. Good luck

Visiting Guest

07-09-03, 09:00 AM   #3  
jmiddleton
I don't think you have to worry too much about the vinyl peeling off. For the panelling installed in trailers, the decorative finish is laminated to the board at the factory. The problem I see is that these panels are basically 1/8" hardboard stapled to 2x2 studs - not very rigid. Because the walls will flex a little every time someone walks by, your texture finish may start developing cracks shortly after application. My recommendation is to simply paint the wall. There is no reason why you couldn't apply a faux technique if you want a textured look. Make sure you clean the panels thoroughly with TSP and apply a high adhesion primer like Zinsser BIN first.

Visiting Guest

07-16-03, 09:49 AM   #4  
g henry
I've heard of a product FIbredecor Designer Wallcoatings that is a very good fix for your problem. It is a fabric composite finish which will flex with the walls. Prep required is priming and then you can apply. they have a website that shows the process check it out!

Search this Thread