Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

moisture above toilet cistern

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-12-00, 01:58 PM   #1  
We have recently moved into a house - circa 1890s. We stripped the walls in the bathroom and repainted with kitchens and bathroom paint. Although the walls weren't in excellent condition, most of the paint has faired well - we have no central heating and condensation is a problem. However, the area above and below the toilet cistern is always dripping with water from condensation (the pipes aren't leaking) and I believe that the cold water coming in every time we flush the loo could be a root cause. My husband is not convinced. Can we insulate the water tank for the loo ? If so, how ? Also, is there such a thing as condensation - proof paint ?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-13-00, 03:10 PM   #2  
Hi Jan
well condensation is caused and only caused by the amount of moisture in the air, the best way to combat this is to have a well ventilated room, this allows the air to circulate and fresh air to get in, whilst the moist air can escape to the outside, moisture laden air will always condensate on the coldest serfaces, in this case your toilet cistern, there are a few things you can do,
1) the best way is to have a well ventilated room.
2) you can buy moisture balls, these soak up the moisture out of the air they work quite well, place these near the problem area's.
3) buy a dehumidifier this will remove the moisture from the air.
There are no anti condensation paints that actually stop condensation, I sugest that you paint with a silk or Vyinl paint so that you can wipe the moisture off if it occures, if left you will start to get meldew over the walls and ceiling, the cause is not the water coming in other than it is the coldness of the water that keeps the metal or porcalain of your cistern cold which intern allows the warm moist air to cool quickly on the outside of the cistern and condense back to water. I hope this helps a little, Handyman

------------------
Remember that your eyes are your windows on the world, so protect them!!

[This message has been edited by Handyman (edited January 13, 2000).]

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-29-00, 10:55 PM   #3  
The Handyman gave you good advice.

There is one thing that I want to add:

I do not know where you live but some areas of the country
often have high humidity, even outside. With this high
humidity air passing by the tank, you will still be getting
condensation. So, if that is the case, take his #3
suggestion and have a good dehumidifiew in the room to keep
the moisture in the air as low as possible. If you are in
a colder climate, and the room is colder you should not have
as much of a problem but it you do, be sure to watch the
dehumidifier so that it does not freeze up.

------------------
Clifford A. Olson, Home Inspector
==================================
FreeHomeTips - *Free* ezine
[email protected]
or go to http://www.caolson.com/ac-home-inspector/

Search this Thread