Filling drywall seams on cut ends

Old 01-13-00, 12:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am in the process of putting up drywall on the ceiling of my house and I am not sure how to fill the seams on the end that
is not beveled. Should I cut a bevel in the drywall or just let it go and tape/fill over it. The seam I am referring to is the 4 foot section on a 4 by 8 sheet of drywall. The drywall is already hanging on the ceiling. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for you time.
Scott

Old 02-05-00, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Scott, Something I have done in the past is place a 2x4 over the cut end and using a hammer to strike the board have created my own bevel. If you don't my experience is that you will see the joint in the ceiling after you apply the mud. Fiberglass tape might help you as well, because you don't have to mud under the tape.

Old 10-15-07, 06:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Uneven Drywall Seams

This appears to be the closest to the problem I am having. I had to replace drywall in a bathroom. Most of the seams line up great and were smooth after taping and mudding.

However, where I placed the new drywall next to the existing drywall, it is uneven by about 1/8". How would I solve something like this? I am still waiting to finish the bathroom but have come to a stop because of that problem.

Also, it was mentioned using a 2X4 on the cut seams. Is that done prior to anchoring with drywall screws/nails?

Old 10-15-07, 07:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums Fryguy

You can either prefill the edge and then tape after the fill coat of mud has dried or tape and mud it and then fill the low area with next coats of mud.

I've never created a beveled edge with a 2x4 or seen the need to do so. While beveled edges make finishing a little easier it isn't that hard to float a butt joint out further to make it not noticable.

Old 10-16-07, 06:17 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. Sounds easy enough.

Old 10-16-07, 04:13 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I've seen a lot of ceilings where the entire surface was skim coated (not just the joints) when a texture wasn't being applied.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: