Old House P/L wall Repair ???'s

Old 02-08-00, 08:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Have an old house (1903) with plaster/lath walls that have many small cracks (from settling), no more than 1/32 inch wide but some fairly long 2 - 2 1/2 feet long. My questions is can these just be patched, or could the walls be prepared with cloth and sealant "membrane" (a product sort of like "paintable wallpaper" or does it all need to be replaced with wall board??? Obvoiusly the last is the least favorable as most walls at least contain some degree of cracking and I am sure that lead paint will be a issue, but I would rather do this correctly, once then having the problem re-occure again and again. . . any advice will be greatly appreciated.

MH

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-00, 03:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Mike:
Well Mike the answer is how much do you want to spend at this time. You can easily patch the cracks in plaster is vinyl spackling. Very easy to work with. Very low cost. If you want to replace it all with sheetrock, you have a big job, lots of dust, and lots of money. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-09-00, 05:54 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't want to say that money isn't really a matter, but I really am more concerned with the durability of the repair. If just patching or patching with the membrane overlay will be a long term solution than I will be relieved to not have to to all of the demo and re-walling, but if patching is just a 'temp' fix then I would rather teardown and re-wall (it will allow me to add insulation at least). really just don't want to be messing with this every few years.
Thanks.

Mike

Old 02-09-00, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Mike:
Vinyl spackling is the name of the product. It white in color, comes in pints or quarts and is applied with a putty knife. Lasts forever. When it is dry, if you did not get it smooth, it is very hard to sand down. It gets real hard. Have lots of it in our lathe and plaster home. Has been here for 20 some years. However, if you want to insulate, then tear out the walls. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 02-21-00, 06:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Mike, I am in the same situation. I have torn out the plaster in some rooms & put drywall back up. It is a messy process. I had to deal with wall studs that varied in width by 1/4 inch or more. That wasn't any big deal with plaster, but it sure is with drywall. And you can't always shim out to the thickest stud, as the drywall may then stick out past the door & window trim. I am currently getting quotes to have rooms redone by putting furring strips & drywall on the ceilings and to repair the walls with a product called "Nu-Wall". This product goes up like wallpaper and cover minor cracks, etc. It uses fiberglass webbing. The company has a web site. I suspect that there may be other companies that sell a similar product. I have also heard of using the fiber glass webbing with some kind of wall compound or finish plaster. I suspect that the drywall approach will be the less expensive route and allows a better insulation job on the exterior walls.

------------------
1900 Queen Ann with a lot of work left to do.