lowering ceiling and even it up

Old 07-13-03, 08:04 PM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
lowering ceiling and even it up

My ceiling in my den has always been uneven, my kids and I did it ourselves. We needed at that time extra room despartely. I couldn't aford a carpenter. I'm tired of looking at the uneveness, even if other people dosen't notice it. I want to lower and even it up. I want to used drywall. I have ceiling tile as of now. Could tell me what materials I may need and give me how to instruction on this project.

Thank You,
Yvonne

Old 07-13-03, 08:53 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do you have a drop ceiling? "...ceiling tiles as of now....."

Or tiles nailed or glued to furring strips or ceiling joists?

Old 07-14-03, 04:40 PM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
lowering ceiling

I don't have a lowered ceiling. The ceiling tiles are stapled onto 4x8 wafer or some call it chip board, that is nailed to the ceiling joist. What I want to actually do is to lower the ceiling, which will only be lowered in certain areas to make it level and even. I was thinking maybe using 1x2's, since to even it up will not take more than 2 to 3 inches.
Yvonne

Old 07-14-03, 07:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Why is the ceiling uneven? Is it the waferboard? It might do to take it down and install the sheetrock onto the ceiling joists, unless they are the problem with the uneveness.

Shimming furring strips to a level point would be a good way to go. They need to be attached securely to support the sheetrock. If the waferboard is the reason that the ceiling is uneven, attaching the furring strips may be difficult.

HTH

Old 07-15-03, 05:54 PM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
ceiling lowered

The ceiling joist being not even is probably the problem or maybe the uneven walls.
yvonne

Old 07-16-03, 01:59 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Shimming to level is a nightmare. If the cwafer board is out of level, remove it. If the joists are still out of level, attach a piece of 2x lumber to the side of the existing joist parallel to it and sticking down. Make the bottom of the 2x pieces level and attach new sheetrock to them. It goes a lot faster than shimming, and if you can use as many long pieces of 2x as possible gives a nice flat surface.

Old 07-18-03, 12:57 PM
yvonne Quarles
Visiting Guest
ceiling lowering

Thank you Brickeyee for responding to correcting my uneven ceiling. It working and I'm sure when we finish it will be okay.

Yvonne

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: