baseboard trim on new wall

Old 04-03-00, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am finishing a new room in my basement. I've framed it, put up the drywall and taped and mudded it. I now want to put on baseboard but would like to know if there's a standard offset from the floor to mount it. The floor is currently poured concrete but I plan on putting in carpet when I'm done with the walls. Is there a standard gap that the baseboard should be above the concrete floor to allow for carpeting?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-00, 06:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Why not wait until the carpet is in?

Otherwise, I've used a piece of 1/2" sheetrock many times on the floor and used it as my standard gap.

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-03-00, 11:52 PM
Visiting Guest
I would wait until the carpet is in. The carpet installer can't mess up the baseboard if it isn't there, and you have a softer surface to kneel on while installing the baseboard

Old 04-04-00, 05:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Go with 3/8 - 1/2 inch. And go ahead and install the baseboards now. The tack strips will go right in front of the baseboard. The pad goes to the edge and then the carpet is tucked under the trim. Makes for a very neat finish.

If you wait, the tack strips may be put right along the wall and the finished look wont be as nice.