"Popcorn" ceilings

Old 04-03-00, 07:49 PM
Visiting Guest
We are renovating a 1969 home that has popcorn ceilings. We would like to get rid of the popcorn ceilings ourselves. How do we do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-00, 11:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Put down lots of plastic or tarps before starting. Cover any furniture you can't get out of the room. Now, use a spray bottle to dampen the acoustic, then scrap it with a 4" or wider putty knife, or a sheetrock knife. Don't overwet it!! you just want to soften it without getting the sheetrock wet. Practice in an area where there is no tape joint in the sheetrock. I just did mine last year and found that if I primed the ceiling after removing the acoustic, then textured the ceiling, primed it again, then put on the finish coat of paint, I got a finish I was happy with. Trying to texture without priming it first created a mess in the texture.

Old 04-04-00, 09:32 AM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by missionmadness:
We are renovating a 1969 home that has popcorn ceilings. We would like to get rid of the popcorn ceilings ourselves. How do we do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lefty, Thanks, When you said you used a primer and texture, I have not invesitgated that part yet, so I'm guessing these are specfic products I can pull of the shelf at my local home building store?

Old 04-04-00, 06:03 PM
Visiting Guest
No more specific than sheetrock topping and paint primer.

I would use a new construction sheetrock primer or Kilz.

If you can find USG brand sheetrock mud - you are looking for the bucket with the blue lid.

You will rent a "hopper" and compressor (some are combined units) and shoot the texture on to your ceiling. After the mud sets up you'll then "knock it down" to flatten the peaks.

This isn't the easiest job to do, but it is far from the hardest!

------------------
MTAC - Van Buren,MO
www.carpenter.cjb.net
Home repair & Construction

"Where the character and work are always upright"

Anything worth cutting down a tree for, is worth doing right.
www.toolreview.cjb.net

Old 04-05-00, 04:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Mission Madness;
Before you take off that popcorn, you had better have it tested for asbestos. Almost all popcorn in the 60's and 70's have asbestos. There are testing labs all over.
Not expensive, but if yours does have it in the popcorn, you cannot remove it as described above. Also it is a federal penelty if you try to get rid of it. You must follow the rules with this one. Be save, get it tested. Maybe you will be lucky, and there will not have any asbestos in yours. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor