ruined drywall?

Old 04-03-00, 09:38 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

when i peeled the wallpaper off the walls in my kitchen, it ripped off the top layer of my sheet rock. now the wall is tattered and uneven. i think i could put up paintable wallpaper that has a texture to it, to hide the mess. but this is a last resort. can i texture the wall myself with some sort of drywall mud. or is there a better product that will allow me to hide the imperfections of my wall. does anyone have any helpful advice or know of any website that has detailed instructions on "how to"

Old 04-04-00, 12:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Replace the sheetrock in the area(s) where the paper tore off of it, and tape the joints between the old and new rock, with joint tape and joint compound. let that dry at least 24 hours, snad it lightly with 80 grit paper, then float the joints with another coat of joint compound. After that has dried 24 hours, you need to try matching the existing texture, or plan on retexturing the whole wall or the entire room. Might I suggest, that if you haven't done this before and you want a finished job that nobody can see, call in somebody who has experience doing exactly this. Might try calling a local rental property management co. and get them to recommend somebody. Those folks have to deal with messed up walls on a regular basis!!

Old 04-04-00, 04:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty is right. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-11-00, 10:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

After a couple of years (periodic attempts every 6 months or so) of trying to skim coat walls I damaged the same way, I finally hired someone to texture it! Unless you're experienced with mud, I recommend you not try this method yourself.
People recommended covering the walls with more drywall, skim coat/ texture (hire someone), & liner paper under new wallpaper. I checked out the textured papers too. They were too heavily textured for my situation and you'll have a lot more choices with liner paper under wallpaper. Good luck.

Old 04-11-00, 10:35 AM
Visiting Guest
p.s.
if you do decide to try to texture it yourself, you might want to look at this site: www.drywalltextures.com/texture.htm

i didn't try the products, but it looked interesting.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: