drywall joints

Old 04-18-00, 09:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I have added a room and drywalled, taped and mudded it myself. My wife picked out a nice latex semi-gloss light paint. As I've been painting, I've noticed that my tape joints are (in a word) "OBVIOUS". They felt and looked smooth and level with the boards on either side but once they're painted you can pick them out from across the room (OK, this has been my first attempt at drywalling...). At any rate, is there any way to fix and blend them in better short of pulling them out and doing them over? I believe that they are actually sound joints that aren't blended well and I have no guarantee that I'll do better the next time. Any suggested course of action? P.S. The ones that are obvious are slightly below the surface of the wallboard.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-00, 04:40 AM
Visiting Guest
When you think you've gotten the joints really smooth, hold a bright light at an angle. You'll see just how smooth it is.

Two notes on painting: 1) all needs to be primed before painting. Joint compound absorbs paint differently than sheetrock. Primer evens it out.
2) Semi-gloss shows more flaws than lower sheens like satin and eggshell. Flat hides the most, but personally I don't like flat paint.

Old 04-19-00, 01:23 PM
Visiting Guest
I noticed in you review of what you did, you did not mention using sheetrock primer over the sheetrock. If you did not, you are in for trouble. Your paint will fall off. This is another possibility why your joints show.
On new sheetrock, you must first paint with sheetrock primer. This is different then paint primer. Then you must put on paint primer(The expensive stuff), then paint with a paint of at least $15.00 a gallon. The reason is that sheetrock paper is made with recycled paper. And when you paint with the sheetrock primer, the recyled paper draws the moisture out of the primer and seals the sheetrock. If you do not use the sheetrock primer, the sheetrock draws the moisture out of your paint, and bingo, off comes the paint. The sheetrock primer also covers the seams. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 04-19-00, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I used a sheetrock primer before painting but I think what has happened is that the primer actually raised the surface of the wallboard (and didn't raise the surface of the mud accordingly). Interestingly enough, I bought this primer since it claimed not to raise the nap on the wallboard...