Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

7 foot header for wall opening

Visiting Guest

07-15-03, 04:07 PM   #1  
header1
7 foot header for wall opening

I am looking to open up 2 connected walls (they are in an 'L' shape with the longer wall being 7 feet, and the shorter being 3 feet) that separate my kitchen from the living room and dining room. Here is a link to pictures of the wall, with the drywall removed: http://www.echofinace.com/header/default.htm My intentions are to remove the 4 studs on the 7 foot wall and add a 4x8 header directly under the existing pair of 2x4's at the top of the studs. The 7 foot wall runs perpendicular the ceiling supports ( one story, concrete foundation ). There is a 13 foot span from the adjacent living room wall, and another 9 feet to the outside wall. I know the wall supports the ceiling beams, as they meet above the 7 foot wall in the attic, but the 7 foot wall provides no other visible support to the roof. There is no 'post' where the 2 walls meet at the 'L' - just 1 2x4 on the 3 foot wall, and 2 2x4's on the 7 foot wall. My question is will adding a 4x8 header be sufficient to carry the load of the 4 studs I am replacing. Also, should I replace the 2x4ís on both ends with 4x4ís? I can see on the right of the 7 foot wall, above the doorway is a 4x6 header on the span to the other wall in the kitchen that is doing the same thing as I intend to do. Lastly, do I need another header for the 3 foot wall. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-17-03, 12:52 PM   #2  
brickeyee
The diagonal brace would appear to make this a shear wall. You probably need to consult a structral engineer and get a PE seal on the change. It may be possible to use plywood to restore the strength lost by removing the diagonal, but only an on site inspection can tell.

Search this Thread