Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Estimates for Ceiling & Wall Remodeling

Estimates for Ceiling & Wall Remodeling

Old 05-12-00, 08:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The bedroom is 12x10
We are starting to get estimates to put sheet rock up on ceilings & walls. Have a popcorn ceiling done and paint the walls.

What is a reasonable charge? We are going to get two different prices. One to put up sheet rock, mud and do ceiling we will paint. Other, have whole project done professionally.

BeckyM

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-00, 03:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Becky
Not enough information for me to help. I would need answers like what part of the country do you live. In the country or city.
How far from the sheetrock supplier. How many windows. How many doors. how many electrical outlets? How easy is it to get the sheetrock into your room ? All of these add into the price. On new construction it is about 30 cents a sq ft of wall space. On remodels it can be much higher. Maybe up to 75cents a sq ft. Tapers usually charge about 30 to 40 cents a square foot. Remember, sheetrockers and tapers are separate items. Have your ceiling painted.
If you paint the walls, remember to paint on first cote first. Your taper can tell you about this. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 05-15-00, 08:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Jack, We got lucky here in Kentucky. Our walls and ceilings aren't that bad. Although, to the untrained eye (us) they do look nasty. With a little patching here and there, driving nail heads in so they don't stick out, smoothing out rough places, texturing the ceiling. We can have a nice bedroom. Total job $250. Which delighted us.

Old 05-16-00, 04:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Yes, you are lucky. By you figures, you just paid $2.00 a sq. ft. Look at my figures. These are the industry standards.

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 05-16-00, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Jack, Guess what your saying is we are paying to much for our wall and ceiling repairs according to industry standards? We thought $250 (materials and labor) to patch our walls and texture the ceiling was reasonable.

Old 05-17-00, 03:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Becky: I guess I was trying to make a point.
I was trying to show you and others who read this that the total cost is not really what it seems. In your case $250.00 was not really very much to pay for your project, you are happy, and that is what matters. However, when you look at what the standard is, you over paid. Your room was small, but if you had a large room or house, you can see how what you paid would really add up quicky. I am on your side. Hooray, Hooray. Now, on to the next project.

------------------
Jack the Contractor