Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing acoustic ceilings

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-16-00, 11:41 PM   #1  
I have a 1000 square feet of acoustic ceilign I want to remove. What is the best process to remove it? Once removed how do I then create a textures feel to the ceiling to match the texture on my walls? FYI I have radiant heating (wires help onto the ceiling by the "cottage cheese") I am willing to sacrifice the heating system bc I live in a warm area, the system doesn't work that well, and I dislike acoustic ceilings very much.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-17-00, 03:28 AM   #2  
Be careful. There is a very good chance that your ceiling cottage cheese as you call it contains asbestos. This was common with radiant heat. If it is, your best bet is to have it professionally removed. This is very dangerous stuff. Get an asbestos test first. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-17-00, 08:48 PM   #3  
Jack
I got it tested today as you suggested. You were right. It contains 3% christalized asbestos. Removing it properly is too expensive. I am now thinking of putting 3/8" drywall over it (or, technically speaking, under it) in my 440 sq ft living room. I'm concerned that I may not have enough skill to do the drywall and that it will be susceptible to cracking. Alternatively, I'm thinking of putting up plyboard (which my carpenter friend would help with). My Q is can I prime, texture, prime, paint the plyboard just like drywall. Are there any disadvantages to this?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-17-00, 09:59 PM   #4  
Covering the acoustic with sheetrock is a reasonable alternative. Forget the 3/8" -- use either 1/2" or 5/8". You need the tensil strength to span between the joists without the sags that 3/8" WILL develope. The cost difference is minimal. I would suggest having it professionally hung. Hangers are fast and not that expensive. They will do in a day what will take you a week to do. Taping, and texturing -- probably the same thing, unless you have a fair amout of experience at it.

Search this Thread