Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

closet header

NY

07-17-03, 02:33 PM   #1  
closet header

Hello Folks, I have a hard to explain problem. I'm redoing a room. I ripped out the closet which runs from the outside house wall across the room to the load bearing hallway wall. The closet was constructed with 2 2x4's as a header against the ceiling. It looked kind of over done to me so I looked up in the attic. In the middle of the roof on both sides of the house are studs from the floor to the roof joist. These studs appear to sitting on my closet header.(on only the one side of the house) The other room directly across from the room I'm working on has the same studs, but no visible header. The ceiling in that room is smooth with no box out for the header. I'm thinking when the closet was built they just added on to the roof joist header?? If it helps at all, they nailed down from the attic. I can see the pointed side of the nails coming through the second 2x4 attached to the header and there are joists running within 3 inches on both sides of the header. Can I add studs in the attic on the roof joist with a cross piece resting on the 2 ceiling joists??? Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help in advance!!! Eric

Sponsored Links

NY

07-17-03, 02:34 PM   #2  
Sorry, The joists for both the ceiling and the roof run in the same direct as the closet.

KS

07-17-03, 02:41 PM   #3  
What exactly are you trying to do? If you ripped out a closet parrallel to the ceiling joists it wont make a difference. There wouldn't be a header in the closet anyway. If the closet is in a load bearing wall then you will have to construct a beam to carry the load.

NY

07-17-03, 02:45 PM   #4  
Hey Coops, I'm trying to remove the closet frame and leave the ceiling even as I'm combining 2 small rooms. It's not load bearing, but, the problem of the studs sitting on top is baffling me. Thanks for the quick response. Eric

KS

07-17-03, 02:55 PM   #5  
You probably want to move them right? It's been my experiance that the roof pushes down on the ceiling and creates a sag, instead of the ceiling supporting the roof. do you have collar ties in your attic? How tall is the peak of you roof from the top of the ceiling joists?

NY

07-17-03, 03:34 PM   #6  
Coops, I want to move them so I don't have to box them out and can remove the studs that framed the closet. The roof line runs from zero to about 6 1/2 to 7 feet. I think on about a 45 degree angle. I don't know what collar ties are. The studs run from about 2 ft to 5 ft on both sides with a walkway in the middle. Thanks for your time. Eric

KS

07-17-03, 07:19 PM   #7  
That is the same dimension on my house and I don't have the studs going to the rafters. So I don't think it will be a big deal if you get rid of them. Collar ties are 2x4's that brace the rafters from one side to side.

Search this Thread