Plaster Board Wall - Bulge

Old 07-17-03, 07:09 PM
startingout
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Plaster Board Wall - Bulge

The person I bought my house from closed in what used to be the deck to form a sun room. They used plasterboard on the walls but didn't finishe it very well.

I have one section of the wall, near the doorway (which does not have the wood framing finish around it) which is between studs that has started to bulge outwards.

This particular section has no nails in and is about 5ft square (the middle of it bulging) it's about a foot from the ceiling.
What is my best option?

Old 07-17-03, 08:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can you screw it down flat? If it is too ridged for that you can cut out the section and patch with new and finish.

Old 07-17-03, 08:39 PM
startingout
Visiting Guest
There isn't anything to screw it down to, that's the problem. The joists run along the outside of a 5ft sqare with the bulge in the middle of it. I can push it in and out as it is flexible.
Do I just nail it around the outside? Was there some reason this wasn't aready done?

Old 07-17-03, 08:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will have to add more framming. You need to get that screwed down tight. I don't think there is any way around taking it out, add some 2 bys and patch. Sorry

Old 07-18-03, 09:38 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
I would make sure there isn't anything like an electrical outlet behind there that got buried. I don't understand though how 'plaster board ' could be flexible. Could it be that two pieces of drywall were joined and taped with no stud behind the joint??
If so you should remove this drywall from stud to stud and replace.

Old 07-20-03, 05:27 PM
startingout
Visiting Guest
Angry Interesting development

Thank you for your posts, looks like I will have to cut that area out and put a noggin behind to fasten the board to.

I also found out, as I had a tradesman around on the weekend to look at my roof (leaking!), that it is not actually plasterboard, it's a small section of 2 mill ply! Of all things! Which he's joined in and painted over.

Looks like the person who enclosed the room just did a bodgy job on this section of the wall (I've got hairline cracks all over the place) so I may have to re-do the whole side of this wall, the other side is fine and is made out of proper plasterboard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: