Dry rot repairs


Old 06-23-00, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

We have a home that has 'dry rot' in an outside wall - is this a repair that can be done ourselves or is a contractor required?
Is there any products to repair the damage or do we have to replace the studs in the damaged area?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-00, 06:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

"Dry Rot" is actually caused by moisture damage. If it is partially through a beam, it maybe can be spliced with a new piece of wood (I always use pressure-treated). If it is structural, replace the studs, and make sure that the outside leakage is stopped permanently. You may be able to replace studfs, etc. one at a time yourself. Good Luck!
Old 06-24-00, 08:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Rotten wood has no structural integrity. It must be replaced whether completely, pieced, or scabbed.

If you are handy and have the time, tools, and talent forget the contractor and DIY!

Visit my website for carpentry help. Go to the "Catalog of Services/DIY help" nav link.

More than a Carpenter

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes