Vinyl vs. steel siding

Old 06-19-00, 08:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Can anyone tell me the benefits of steel
siding over vinyl? I can't seem to find
valid information (other than sales pitches).
If anyone has experience in either system
I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-00, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Steel has no seams. Will not warp. Is resistant to changing weather (hot & cold). Won't flap in the wind and rattle your wall. Installed only by seamless steel contractors.

Vinyl can become brittle over time. Will mildew if in a shaded or poorly vented area. Has many visual seams. Can be applied by anyone from the back of a pick-up truck.

I have a "how to do vinyl siding" section on my website. Got to "Catalog of service/DIY help"

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 06-25-00, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
MTAC pretty well summed things up. There are pros and cons to both sides of siding. One more thing -- if a rock from a lawn mower or a hail stone hits steel siding, it dents it. The repair can become pretty involved (expensive). With vinyl, replaceing one or two panels is no big thing. The latest thing with vinyl is insulation that is formed to match the contour of the siding itself. This increases the "R" value of the insulation as well as making it more resistant to damage. Other pluses of this insulation are that there are no voids behind the siding or in the corners for varments to establish nests in. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EricS:
Can anyone tell me the benefits of steel
siding over vinyl? I can't seem to find
valid information (other than sales pitches).
If anyone has experience in either system
I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>