Horizotial Vs. Vertical Sheetrock

Old 06-21-00, 03:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I live in Texas and around here I have seen most sheetrock installed vertically. However, when I look up sheetrock sites on the web, they install it horizontally. Is there any benefit to either way. I will be going with a smooth finish, so I would prefer the best way to make that look nice. Also I have a pier and beam house (we live in an area of shrink swell soils).

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-00, 09:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I always install sheetrock horizontally, and stagger the vertical joints. I also use 12' sheets as much as possible to eliminate as many joints as possible. There is less waste installin it horizontally, and fewer joints to tape.

Old 06-22-00, 03:48 AM
Visiting Guest
In the old days they installed sheetrock vertically. Then they came out with 12 sheets and then horizonal became popular. However, it does not really matter. Lefty is right, horizonally takes less joints, and is quicker, however 12 ft sheets are heavier. Good Luck

Old 06-22-00, 06:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Thanks for the help. I thought it didn't matter but I wasn't sure.

One other question... If they only sell 1/2" 12 ft. sheetrock can I use that on walls and ceiling, or is 5/8 better for walls??

Old 06-24-00, 08:33 AM
Visiting Guest
I've been hanging rock for almost 20 years and have always hung it horizontal. 12's are okay with help. 8's are better by yourself.

I have a "how to sheetrock" section on my website. Go to "Catalog of services/DIY help" nav link.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 06-26-00, 12:52 PM
Visiting Guest
You can use 1/2" sheetrock on walls unless your house is fire-rated, which I'm sure is not the case. I was told 5/8" works better than 1/2" on ceiling because it sags less. Is it true?

Search this Thread