Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Interior walls on victorian home

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:42 PM   #1  
jethomas
Interior walls on victorian home

I'm in the process of updating a victorian home built in 1890. The walls currently have nothing on them and are a beautiful golden wood which was at one time covered with probably cheese cloth wall paper. All of the trim is wood and never painted. The wood gives the house more of a log cabin feeling than a fancy victorian. However, it is very dark in the house and somebody put drywall in some of the exterior walls between the boards, I assume to keep the wind from blowing through. Also there are a million tiny nails in the wood. What is the best thing to do to the walls?

Try to pull the nails out and seal the wood with something (if so what?) and leave the interior of the house with a log cabin look?
Put up sheet rock which might crack with the shifting Texas dirt?
Put up paneling?
Old fashion type wall paper (if they still make it)?
Other?

Sponsored Links

SC

07-22-03, 09:32 PM   #2  
A bit off topic, but something that might ought to be part of your overall renovation planning considerations. What are your energy bills like? An energy usage audit might be something to consider in deciding what to do with these board walls.

If this house is drafty and expensive to heat and cool, it might be a good move to fur out the walls and install insulation and sheetrock. Maybe even remove the interior board wall, insulate, seal, and replace the boards.

I have seen a few turn of the century houses here with board walls. My first thought has always been about how much it costs to heat and how comfortable the house is.

When we started to renovate our 1939 bungalow, I found it a help to go through a deliberative process of moving to a more basic element of the process until I could go no further. I started with rewiring. Next, I renovated the water supply. Then had the HVAC system sealed. It was amazing how much money was blowing through the leaks in the poorly installed ductwork.

Well, I did not answer your question. I thought it worthwhile to throw this out. Maybe it will keep you from having to something twice. I have learned the hard way about getting ahead of myself.

HTH

Search this Thread