Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Taking out a wall

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:59 PM   #1  
Hogues9
Taking out a wall

I am puchasing a home that has a living room wall that contains a window (no glass) between it and the kitchen. I am toying with the idea of taking out the wall underneath the window in order to create a doorway between the two rooms. I am almost certain that the wall is not loading bearing and that taking out the wall will not create any structural anomalies. The section in question is about two feet wide by three feet extending to the floor from the open area. How long should I expect this project to take, and what is the level of difficulty in fully finishing the project? Thanks for your input.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 09:04 PM   #2  
bungalow jeff
If this window is high enough for your entry then there is a header already in place whether the wall is load-bearing or not. HOWEVER, two feet is a narrow passageway. To make the opening a standard room pasageway width you will have to reframe the entire section of wall. This turns a short weekend job into a long weekend (or more) job and increases the framing skill requirement dramatically. Make sure you are 100% sure there is no electrical or plumbing in this wall to be removed before attacking it.

Search this Thread