Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

popcorn acoustical ceiling

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-15-00, 06:58 PM   #1  
I am considering buying a home that has popcorn ceilings. I have yet to have it tested for abestos, but I would like to know how I could remove the popcorn ceiling myself, assuming it DOES NOT contain asbestos. Originally, was the popcorn sprayed on drywall sheets? Would you have to remove the drywall sheets and replace them, or just apply something to soften the popcorn and then scrape it off? How would you smooth the surface afterward? What tools would be needed to tackle this mess? As you can tell, I am very much a novice! Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-15-00, 10:23 PM   #2  
Sue -- have the texture tested for asbestos BEFORE you do anything. If it contains asbestos, contract ONLY with a contractor who possesses a Haz Mat disposal license to remove and dispose of it. It's not cheap, but it's a whole lot less expensive than getting caught trying to get rid of it any other way. Assuming the texture has no asbestos, you can do it yourself. Removal is simple enough, but pretty messy. Here's how I did mine. Use a one quart spray bottle to moisten (but do not soak!) a couple of square feet at a time and peel it off with a 6" to 12" wide texture knife. Cover the floor with plastic or tarps before you start. Allow each area to completely dry ( couple of days), then apply a coat of latex primer. After that has had a day to dry, you can apply the texture of your choice -- either have a pro spray it on, or apply it with a 12" texture knife to acheive the desired texture. Then prime it again, then apply the finish coat of paint. Working 3 to 4 hours in the evening, I was able to do my living room and a hallway in about a week.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-19-00, 04:40 PM   #3  
I am curious about how you want to finish your ceilings, because I have the same problem. after reading the response from the moderator, I found a testing company and I just removed a small sample and sent it away for testing. It cost $40. I want to do a painted wood ceiling, but first that dreadful popcorn has to go. I have my fingers crossed that it is not asbestos.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-19-00, 07:20 PM   #4  
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by miajames:
I am curious about how you want to finish your ceilings, because I have the same problem. after reading the response from the moderator, I found a testing company and I just removed a small sample and sent it away for testing. It cost $40. I want to do a painted wood ceiling, but first that dreadful popcorn has to go. I have my fingers crossed that it is not asbestos. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as what we would do to the ceiling once we take down the popcorn - we would probably just have a textured (and paintable) surface put on. This particular ceiling is fairly low, due to a low pitched roof, but it also depends on what is under the ceiling and what condition it's in. Your wood idea sounds good - we talked about putting in pine planks on top of the roof rafters (leaving only the rafters exposed) to give it a more rustic look, but don't know if that's doable. Since we are only considering the purchase of this house, we haven't gone into too much detail as far as design yet and we haven't had the popcorn tested for asbestos yet. Too afraid to do it!

Search this Thread