Repairing Termite Damage

Old 07-12-00, 09:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Hiring a contracter is not an option, except I probably will hire a contracter to install and finish the wall board.

I am embarking on a journey to repair termite damage, and am now assessing the damage. I have found 2 places so far. One load bearing wall about 10 feet long, and an outer (Brick) wall about 10 feet long. Most of the studs are not touched. Most damage is to door frames, bottom plates, top plates, and cap plates. 2 or 3 rafters are damaged, and so are 2 or 3 joists.

Good ways to find all the damage?
Where do I start re-framing?
What do I do about older framing timber being slightly larger than new ones?
What do I do about wall board being thicker than the paneling being replaced?

Pray for me, please.

Thanks in advance,
Marshall

Old 07-15-00, 09:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't know thest best way to locate all the damage except to replace it as you go.

Framing should be replaced just like it was built. From the bottom up.

The new material, if thinner, should be brought out to meet the finished wall. Otherwise you need to fur out.

The difference in wall boardboard thickness and paneling is your call - Either attempt to hide it or make it very obvious with a piece of trim.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 07-15-00, 10:55 AM
Visiting Guest
The very first place you must start in you building permit office. You are replacing structural items of your home. What looks like it could be easy, could be a nightmare, especially on on your plates and rafters.
Remember, when repairing termite infested wood, you must replace about another 2 to 3 inches away from the damage also. Termites leave an oder, and after you have replaced the wood, another termite can smell the spot, and be right back. Even though you have sprayed for them.

Old 07-19-00, 07:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you for the information. All is very helpful.

Please advise what the building permit office can do for me, besides take my money for a permit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: