Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

How To Avoid Air Pockets In Drywall Tape ?

How To Avoid Air Pockets In Drywall Tape ?

Old 07-25-00, 09:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I was wondering how to avoid air pockets under the drywall tape? And also how to fix this problem?

Please help!

Old 07-26-00, 02:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Finally someone got me. I do not know. After 30+ years of construction, here is one thing I have never heard of. I can honestly say that in over 3000 new homes, I have never had an air bubble under sheetrock tape.
It is sticky on one side, just rool it on and bingo. Maybe Carpenter or Lefty will
have had a bubble in their tape. Is this a trick set up ?

Old 07-26-00, 02:12 PM
Visiting Guest
The air bubble you referred to is a spot where the tape didn't adhere to the drywall mud under it. We are talking paper tape, aren't we? Put down a layer of drywall mud, place the tape into the mud and then run a thin layer of drywall mud over the tape. To repair a place, cut out the area with a utility knife and then mud over it. Depending on the location of the bubble, it may be necessary to retape it.

Old 07-26-00, 04:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I stopped using paper tape years ago. I never get bubbles either.

More than a Carpenter

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 07-26-00, 11:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Do they still MAKE paper tape? WHY???

Old 07-27-00, 12:14 AM
Visiting Guest
Jack, do you really think that Carpenter and I would even think of... but now that you mentioned it... Sleep well, my friend!
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jack the Contractor:
Finally someone got me. I do not know. After 30+ years of construction, here is one thing I have never heard of. I can honestly say that in over 3000 new homes, I have never had an air bubble under sheetrock tape.
It is sticky on one side, just rool it on and bingo. Maybe Carpenter or Lefty will
have had a bubble in their tape. Is this a trick set up ?
<HR>

Old 07-29-00, 06:09 PM
Visiting Guest
wyackel, Boatright gave you the right advise about what causes, and how to repair the bubbles. Carpenter, Jack, and I (besides having a little fun) told you how to AVOID them in the first place -- use the fiberglass mesh tape. Good luck.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by wyackel:
I was wondering how to avoid air pockets under the drywall tape? And also how to fix this problem?

Please help!
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: