Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What's the easiest way to finish drywall joints?

Old 07-26-03, 02:26 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sponging, as recommended by the compound companies or sanding? I like the idea of reduced dust with sponging but have never tried it. It is more laborious than sanding? Does sponging provide an equally fine finish?

Old 07-26-03, 07:36 AM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
I can only speak from what my drywaller did in my basement. He used the fiberglass mesh type of tape and used as little compound as possible and you won't even need to sand. Just use a couple of different width tools 6" and 9" and 12". Comes out great, I have also had good success with that. I had to use the "stick on" type of tape because I am not a professional, but it worked great. My guy said only people without a real understanding of the job have to sand, they use too much joint compound.

Old 07-26-03, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have tried the sponge with no success. Being A DIY I do end up sanding. If I have a lot of it to do I hire a pro.

Old 07-26-03, 11:22 AM
C
A big part of reducing the amount of sanding and dust is applying the mud with the right tools. Wider blade each time. When one coat is dry and you are ready to apply the next one, knock off any ridges with the edge of the knife by scraping along the mudded area. This is easier and neater than sanding. Hold the hose of your shopvac under where you are working to catch most of the debris. (You may need a bag in the shopvac to manage the fine dust.) You will be satisfied by how much you can remove with scraping quickly along the mudded area.

Proponents of wet sponging report more ease with a slightly damp scotchbrite pad than with a sponge. I prefer sand paper or mesh. I like the finish more than what I achieve with the wet process.

I use the self-adhesive, mesh tape because it sticks by itself, thereby eliminating the step to bed the paper tape in the mud. This enables you to go straight to the second coat width.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: