8' to vaulted ceiling

Old 07-31-00, 10:54 AM
Visiting Guest
I'd like to change an 8' ceiling into a vaulted ceiling. I don't mind some support beams and joists showing, but currently there are so many (24" centers?) that if I just removed the sheetrock on the ceiling it still wouldn't look "open".
Any suggestions on ways to "open up" the ceiling and yet have a safe and supported structure?
Thank you,
Catman

Old 07-31-00, 06:09 PM
Visiting Guest
What is the pitch of the existing roof over the room you want vaulted?

You will have to tear the entire sheetrock ceiling out. You will have to plumb brace all four walls. You will have to remove, cut and reinstall the celing joists to yur vaulted height. And you will need to make sure you have collar ties at least every 4'.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 07-31-00, 11:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Is your roof supported by joists and rafters, or by engineered trusses? If it has trusses, the only SAFE way to convert the ceiling from an 8' to a vaulted ceiling will be to replace the trusses with ones that have the vaulted ceiling designed into them. Good job for a contractor, but not something a DIYer wants to get involved with.
quote:<HR>Originally posted by catman:
I'd like to change an 8' ceiling into a vaulted ceiling. I don't mind some support beams and joists showing, but currently there are so many (24" centers?) that if I just removed the sheetrock on the ceiling it still wouldn't look "open".
Any suggestions on ways to "open up" the ceiling and yet have a safe and supported structure?
Thank you,
Catman
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: