Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

What material around gas hot water heater vent

What material around gas hot water heater vent

Old 08-12-00, 09:36 PM
Visiting Guest
The vent goes through the ceiling about 4 feet above the heater. Currently there is plywood around the vent, and it is not sealed. What is the proper way and how do you seal it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-00, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Marshall

There should be what's called a "ceiling bucket" already installed there. You can tell if one is there by looking for a round metal container like object with holes in it.

The vent pipe goes through the center of it and it's attached to the rafters with metal straps. This is the item that insulates the hot pipe from being in contact with the wood.

If there isn't one there, there should be. If this is prior construction, it should be there and the holes should be visable and NOT sealed. If this is new construction, one must be installed.

The purpose of the bucket is to prevent the wood from drying out, overheating and posing a possible fire hazard. It is also required by code.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.

Old 08-13-00, 06:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom. This is old construction, and some previous owners have botched a few repairs. I didn't see how this vent could have met codes of any kind. Now I know. There is no basket. I found that they had floored some of the attic, and cut a hole through the plywood flooring hust large enough for the vent. That's all that's there. Something else to fix. THANKS AGAIN. I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Marshall