Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement Wallboard questions/options...

Visiting Guest

07-28-03, 10:14 AM   #1  
edbreyer
Basement Wallboard questions/options...

Iím redoing my basement and have three questions regarding the wallboard material I should use:

1) On the exterior walls (50% below/50% above grade) is there any benefit to using greenboard (i.e. moisture resistant drywall)? I donít have any seepage issues and will use proper vapor barriers but am willing to use greenboard if there is any potential benefit.

2) Just in case I should ever get a few inches of water in the basement (e.g. failed sump pump) should I use cement board instead of drywall for the bottom 1 to 2 foot of the walls (Iím using steel studs and beadboard on the lower half of the walls)? If so, should I use foam panels to insulate the walls so it would dry out more easily (versus fiberglass)? Or is this all in vain (i.e. the walls would have to be torn open for even an inch or two of water)?

3) The basement stairwell is rather narrow and takes a lot of abuse (knicks, scrapes, gouges). It has knotty pine right now but I think just painting it will result cracks in the paint between the tongue and groove panels. So, is there a better, more durable material that can be used instead of drywall? I seem to recall hearing about something called Hardiboard and/or Homosote. Are these viable options to drywall in a high traffic/abuse area?

Thanks in advance for your response!
Ed

Sponsored Links

KS

07-28-03, 12:10 PM   #2  
It seems to me like you are preparing for the worst in your basement. Don't. Put regular drywall up everywhere. The cost of materials and aggrivation factor for hanging durock around the bottom will break you. You will be way ahead $ wise if you need to repair any drywall at a later date. Green board won't help if you get substantial water anyway. And if you get that much water in your basement you are making an insurance claim cuz everything will be ruined. Regarding you stairwell, well, wood will be about the toughest material. Hardibacker is similar to durock only thinner. Its heavy and hard to handle. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

07-29-03, 09:41 AM   #3  
edbreyer
Thanks Coops28!

You're right - I have been over-planning this. I will use drywall on all the walls and keep it simple. I'll use the money I save to buy a backup sump pump.

Thanks Again!

Search this Thread