ugly paneling fixes

Old 06-30-00, 08:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I've bought a 20-year-old beach house with dark brown paneling not of the best quality. I want to paint or cover it. Some people tell me painting works, with the right preparation. Some say painting always looks tacky. Others say there is a type of cover-up (other than drywall) that can be applied and painted. All thoughts welcome. If I paint, what is the preparation? If I don't, what are my options?

And while we're at it, most rooms also have one wall wall-papered. I know it's personal taste, but I hate all wall paper. Must I remove it (which I've done before), or is it true that some paint really works over wall paper?

Old 07-01-00, 06:30 PM
Visiting Guest
A lot will depend on what kind of paneling and what kind of wall paper you are dealing with. Have a painting contractor look at it and tell you if any of it can be covered by paint or not.

Old 07-28-00, 09:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I am in exactly the same boat. I just bought a vacation cottage with paneling in every room (uggh!). I've been told by several people that it is fairly easy to paint over it IF you sand it down lightly first and put on a good heavy primer coat. I am going to Home Depot and Shirwinn Williams today and will let you know what they say. My paneling is not that dark (it's actually quite light as paneling goes) and I'd like to try and "Milkwash" it.
I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 08-14-00, 04:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Okay, I have painted paneling and it isn't a fun job to say the least...in fact drywall might be easier in the long run, but expense wise painting the paneling is the only way to go.

Here is what I did and what I have heard suggested.
1. Lightly sand the paneling. Keep it even, don't sand hard in a spot and end up getting surface uneven. (remember there are sanders and things [guys can tell you technical names for such power tools], that can make the job easier)

2. Use a primer such as Kilz to prime the wood so the paint will stick. From what I have heard, the oil based kind covers dark colors easier, but whether or not its safe to use on wood...I don't know. You can also get a latex Kilz primer (which I used) and it covers well but may take 2 coats, you just roll it on like paint and let it dry. It cleans up a whole lot easier than oil based too.

3. Don't get concerned if the Kilz looks uneaven and streaky on the walls when you are done. It just doesn't spread like paint. But make sure to apply a generous amount and try to get it on as evenly as possible.

4. After the Kilz has had ample time to dry it is time for the paint. That part is pretty self explanitory.

ALSO:
If you need to fix seams in the paneling I would suggest that you use mud and or painters caulk in the joints and ridges. But remember any of those items will need sealer applied to them also before you paint. So remember to seal or prime the mud and caulk with Kilz also.

Last, but not least. The very easiest way I have found to handle this problem. Which I just did a week ago in a home we are fixing to move into is:

We textured the walls. You can buy or rent the texture guns that will essentially spray mud on your walls in a textured pattern. Then you let that dry, Kilz over it, then paint. The only mudding or caulking you would do would be for stuff that would not be covered by the texture. Also, texturing is FAST!!! But very messy if you don't prepare for it properly. Same preparation needed before you paint, such as taping off areas, drop clothes, etc.

Hope this helps.
And if you feel overwhelmed, just call a few friends to help, it will go faster than you think.

Old 08-14-00, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
First, use a oil based primer on wood or paneling. It seals better than latex. There are several good ones on the market such as Ben Moore and Shermin Williams.

I caulk the seams in paneling. Much faster than mudding or painters putty plus it stays flexible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: