drywall on A-Frame

Old 07-28-03, 10:40 PM
glorygold
Visiting Guest
Question drywall on A-Frame

Before I get too far and have to start over again - it was recommended to put up 2x4 supports between the ceiling beams or rafters? so I can nail the drywall to it. And keeping an 1/8 in. space between the beam and drywall for expansion/contraction purposes. The ceiling/wall goes up 13 ft before it comes to the false celing. Will the 2x4's be enough support for the drywall?
There was 1x2 strips along the beams holding the insulation boards up which had to come down (the insulation stayed up!) making room for the 2x4 and space between the roof and insulaton. The drywall will be flush with the beams - want to keep the beams showing. Now theres nothing to support the drywall in the center ( 2 beams, 2 sections of the drywall will be resting on the wall paneling about 1/4 in., nailed to the 2x4's going across. The middle one is my concern - will it be ok or should I get a metal L-shape strip to go up the side of the beams - nail the 2x4's in place - and then attach the drywall to both? Please help before I mess up!! Thanks, Barb

Last edited by glorygold; 07-29-03 at 12:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-03, 07:03 AM
I'm sorry, I couldn't make out exactly what is going on in your question. Describe in detail what the problem is. Did you remove something from the existing ceiling? Why aren't there any roof rafters? How old is your house? what size beams do you want to show? What kind of wood are they?

Old 07-29-03, 09:32 AM
glorygold
Visiting Guest
drywall - A-Frame

The house is a Swiss chalet style, A-Frame. 1970. the ceiling beams or rafters are 3"x7"., they go up to the peak. there's a false ceiling up now, so only 13ft is exposed. there was 1x2"strips going length-wise along the beams to hold the insulation boards up. I would like to keep the face of the beam showing instead of covering it up with drywall. drywall going between the beams like the insulation boards. Needed to remove the 1x2 strips to put metal supports up to hold the 2x4's between the beams which the drywall will be nailed to. So on the beam there really isn't anything to hold drywall - they will just be touching except for where the 2x4's are.

Old 07-29-03, 11:53 AM
Do you have roof rafters in between the beams? You must have something holding your roof on. What are the beams made of?