Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Attaching Partition Wall To Existing Wall

Old 07-29-03, 07:44 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi:
I'm partitioning one large bedroom into two. The ceiling and floor joistsl run perpendicular to the new wall, so I'll be able to screw into these. The ends of the partition may be a problem. If no studs exist where the partition intersects the existing wall, how do I attached the partition?

Thanks.

Old 07-29-03, 08:13 AM
You will have to do one of 2 things. Either attach 2x's from stud to stud making what looks like a ladder or construct a box. The box will be 2 studs run the regular way (from floor to ceiling) and one more stud nailed sideways in between.

Old 07-29-03, 12:48 PM
Wait a second. If your wall is secure to top and bottom you might not have to worry about the end.

Old 07-29-03, 07:18 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest
you may also concider framing the wall with steel stud. In that case the stud you place on the existing wall can be screwed in whether there is a wood stud behind or not.
If there is no stud to fasten to, fasten the steel stud to the drywall by using 1 5/8 inch screws fastened at a 45 degree angle, thru the 90 degree corners of the stud every foot or so. The stud will be very secure.

Old 07-30-03, 08:21 AM
M
Thanks for the replies.

I spoke to our building inspector, and he told me that attaching the end walls to the top and bottom plates of the existing walls will be all I need. Of course, the top and bottom plates will be secured to the joists.

Old 07-31-03, 04:58 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think there's a pretty good chance that you will get a crack in the corner between the new and existing sheetrock because the new wall will move slightly as it aclimates or as it's bumped. You may be able to help this by running some toggle bolts from the new stud into the existing wall, but just don't know.

If it were me, I would terminate the new sheetrock against the existing with a casing bead (the type you mud in, like a corner bead) and run a bead of paintable caulk down the joint.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: