drilling concrete

Old 08-17-00, 08:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Although I'm using a masonry bit, I CANNOT drill through my basement wall; am I doing something wrong or is there such a thing as an undrillable wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-00, 09:35 PM
Visiting Guest
What are you using for a drill motor? You need a roto-hammer -- these give you an impact motion as well as turning the bit. Rent one (at $400 for a good one, buying is probably out of the question) and see if it will do the job for you.

Old 08-18-00, 08:07 AM
Visiting Guest
I am a do-it-yourselfer and couldn't help but tell my experience first drilling concrete. My masonry bit would drill into the concrete, but soon would just stop penetrating the wall. I learned that it was due to hitting a rock in the concrete. Remember concrete is an aggregate of several things, including a few good sized gravel. When the bit hits one of these rocks, or even worst, the 1/2 steel rebar embedded in the wall, then the drilling stops. If you push hard enought until you arms fall off, you will be able to drill through the rock. This is where a hammer drill, as Lefty mentioned, comes in very nicely! However, I don't think I have ever been able to drill thru the steel rebar. Of course, 35 years ago when my house was built, rebar was not required nor used.

Mark