Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing wall?!?

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-17-00, 09:02 AM   #1  
I have a two-story colonial-style home, about 50 yrs. old. There is a foyer just inside the front door with a stairway straight ahead enclosed on both sides by walls that come all the way to the bottom of the stairs. To the left of the stairway is a hall going into the kitchen. I would like to open up a portion of the wall between the stairs and the hall and add spindles and a banister. The wall is perpendicular to the main ridge of the roof and extends all the way up through the second story. I believe it is not load-bearing, and we would only open up the wall up to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the stairs. Is this possible, and how difficult would it be for a do-it-yourselfer?? Are there any sites that would address this subject and possibly show pictures of railings and stairways?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-19-00, 05:57 AM   #2  
I would suggest this is a load bearing wall. Go to the basement. Is there a wall or a beam under or within a foot or two of the wall you are refering to? If so the wall is structural. You can remove all or a portion of the wall with proper replacement by beams and posts. This is a major undertaking.One should be a little more than just a handyman. Assess your capabilities, time availability and stress level. Bon Chance!

Search this Thread